Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Amoebiasis: Often mistaken as normal Diarrhea but Deadly





Please allow me to share my personal experience and serve as a warning to other people specially to mothers on which they usually assumed that their infant children are having diarrhea's due to the appearance of milk teeth and realized when its too late already. 


Here is the account of my experience for a period of 5 days: 


1st day: I discharge/go to CR 7 times.(I thought it was just a normal diarrhea since I usually have diarrhea's when I am having an overnight online computer games escapades) - Took 3 diatabs, 3 lomotil, & Drink yakult.


2nd day: Same status with 1st day. Able to consult with a quack doctor as per advice by my auntie. 


3rd day: *Half day on the Comfort Room(discharge 15 times); unable to eat or drink since the more I eat or drink, the more I discharge. Difficulty on walking. Visible weight loss reflected on the face(loss 15 kilos after the check-up; from my normal weight 75 kilos to 60 kilos). Decided to be check in the hospital late afternoon. During medical test, first time to experienced vomiting(based on the 3 days time span). The doctor decided that I am going to be admitted in the hospital since I am already severely dehydrated. My hands and feet tends to move by itself and harden.  
            *During the admission in the hospital: from 6pm to 12 midnight; consumed 12 bottles of normal dextrose and 6 bottles of dextrose with potassium. Catheter was also administered to drain urine from my urinary bladder(one of the most painful experienced that I have encountered). Took Kitnos and Metronidazole tablets as per doctors advice.


4th day: *Normal dextrose is still present(happy that the catheter was already removed ;-P ). Still maintaining Kitnos and Metronidazole. Able to eat soft foods and somehow retain strength enough to go to the CR by myself. Doctor assigned to me informed me that I was bless that I was admitted before its too late since some of the children that was admitted simultaneously with me died from severe dehydration and their young bodies unable to cope the viral infection.


5th day: Discharge from the hospital and pay Php 10,000 for the hospital bills. Travel back to my province in Ormoc City, Leyte. Still maintaining Metronidazole for another 3 days. 


Message to all Mothers: If your child is having a severe diarrhea, please don't assume that it is normal specially during the appearance of their milk teeth. Some of the children that have been admitted with me during the amoeba outbreak in Mandaue City, Cebu have died since they were admitted too late. Moreover, I'm not against with herbal/quack doctors or faith healers but on my case, I was told that some kind of spirit is visiting or hurting me and administer me bottles of water with paper floating in it with hand written messages or some kind of their own prayers but with God's blessing and well, I was guided to decide for check-up in the hospital and it was almost too late. It could have cost me my life.


In all of this experience, I would like to offer this prayer to our Lord God Jesus Christ whom guided me and provided me the chance to lived:


Lord, thank you for everything. Thank you for my life, the life of all my family members and love ones, the life of all my relatives, the life of all my friends, for all our life. I know, without your grace, we are nothing oh Lord. Thank you for your blessings, grace and protection. Thank you, Thank you Lord.


Lord, please guide its one of us to decide on the right decision specially if life is at stake. Protect us always and keep us safe. Provide us with long life and good health. 


All this we declare in the name of our savior Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen














Terms Used:


Amoebiasis, or Amebiasis, refers to infection caused by the amoeba Entamoeba histolyticaThe term Entamoebiasis is occasionally seen but is no longer in use; it refers to the same infection. Likewise amoebiasis is sometimes incorrectly used to refer to infection with other amoebae, but strictly speaking it should be reserved for Entamoeba histolytica infection. gastrointestinal infection that may or may not be symptomatic and can remain latent in an infected person for several years, amoebiasis is estimated to cause 70,000 deaths per year world wide. Symptoms can range from mild diarrhea to dysentery with blood and mucus in the stool.


dextrose [dek´strōs]
older chemical name for d-glucose (see glucose); the term dextrose continues to be used to refer to glucose solutions administered intravenously for fluid or nutrient replacement.

catheter (pronounced /ˈkæθɪtər/) is a tube that can be inserted into a body cavity, duct, or vessel. Catheters thereby allow drainage, administration of fluids or gases, or access by surgical instruments. The process of inserting a catheter is catheterization. In most uses, a catheter is a thin, flexible tube ("soft" catheter), though in some uses, it is a larger, solid ("hard") catheter. A catheter left inside the body, either temporarily or permanently, may be referred to as an indwelling catheter. A permanently inserted catheter may be referred to as a permcath (originally a trademark).

urinary bladder is the organ that collects urine excreted by the kidneys before disposal by urination. A hollow[1] muscular, and distensible (or elastic) organ, the bladder sits on the pelvic floor. Urine enters the bladder via the ureters and exits via the urethra.



dehydration (hypohydration) is defined as the excessive loss of body fluid.


quack doctor is a person who pretends, professionally or publicly, to have skillknowledge, or qualifications he or she does not possess. Fraudulent or ignorant pretender to medical skill.